Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pilots Care About Those Who Want To Learn To Fly

I continue to be amazed by the pilot community.  I presented (keynotes / breakouts) or was the master of ceremonies at several events in 2012, and made many friends in a variety of industries.  With over 50 events I encountered more people in 2012 than ever before.  But with talks in the legal, engineering, medical, technology, government, and other industries.... I did not find myself wanting to become a lawyer, doctor, etc....  However, my exposure to the world of aviation at the AOPA Aviation Summit was unique.  I left wanting to learn to fly.

Additionally I keep hearing from people I met at the event. Both attendees and vendors took an interest in me.... and my early interest in flight.  I still get emails from those who want to check in and see if I still am seeking the path to flight.  I have had magazine articles mailed to me and suggestions on where in Texas to get my education / instruction.  The enthusiasm with which people seem to care is wonderful.

My exposure to aviation sparked an interest in flight, but it was the people and how excited they were about a newcomers child-like excitement that keeps me learning.  I cannot afford the time or money to jump in fully right now, but I am becoming more convinced that I want to get my certificate.  I teach people about connecting and community... but I have a lot to learn on this topic from pilots!!!

I heard from someone today who I met at AOPA.  I was so touched by their words that I had to come write something on this blog.  If you think you want to learn to fly, simply go meet pilots.  Express to them your interest, and you will discover people who want to help you along the way.  

While that is not 100% of the people in the aviation world (I have encountered many who are indifferent), the ones who are reminded of their own entry to flight by your excitement are all over the place!!!

Have a great day.

thom singer




No comments:

Post a Comment