Friday, January 11, 2013

Merry Christmas - Introduction to Redbird

For Christmas my wife and kids gave me a gift certificate for a two-hour introduction to Redbird Skyport (and their simulator based training center).  I have been doing a lot of research about my pending flight training, and the offering at the San Marcos Redbird facility is the most interesting.  Nationally it is getting a lot of attention, and the fact that I live 30 miles away makes it a geographic bonus.

The good news is I am excited to schedule my two hours visit. The more I learn and experience, the more interested I am in becoming a pilot.  The bad news is that the cost of getting my flight certificate is higher than I had imagined. With personal and business necessities, I might have to put this off a little longer than I had hoped.  I have to be realistic about our budgets (home and for the business), and I cannot add another expense until I overcome some previous commitments.

Yet this is not necessarily a bad thing.  Since my first exposure to general aviation in October, and my desire to explore the whole process, I have tried hard to be realistic and honest about my level of desire to fly.  I did not want to be seduced by the coolness and newness of the concept.  Being sure that this was something I was committed to has always been important (did not want a "shiny object syndrome").

The journey might be a long one... but I had coffee yesterday with a guy who has postponed his pilots certificate for over a decade because of the expense and time commitment.  I am fairly confident that I will not need to wait that long.

As I have said all along, I am going to go one step at a time.  My next step is to set up my visit to Redbird.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer

No comments:

Post a Comment