Saturday, October 27, 2012

I Might Want To Learn To Fly?

It has only been two of weeks since my flight in a Cirrus Aircraft.  It was a random series of events that put me in that plane, but everyday since then I have thought about the experience.  Driving my car I wonder about taking off and landing.  I look up at the sky each time I hear a plane. I wish the flight had lasted longer.

A conversation with a smart man with an eclectic career who now works in and around aviation got me thinking about all if I had what it took to be a private pilot.  He encouraged me to explore what it would take to earn a certificate.  He thought it would be good for me to understand general aviation at a deeper level.  He made me feel that being a pilot was something very special.  He also explained that there is a need for the next generation of pilots.

Over the past 14 days I have read magazine articles, scoured the web, talked to pilots, and keep coming back to an interest to discover more.  Yesterday I began taking on online ground school class (www.asa2fly.com).  From just the first few hours of the course I can tell that this is not something to approach lightly.  There is much to learn.  The vocabulary alone may turn some people off to the process. But I am excited to go back and push through the whole class.

I am not convinced that I will go all the way with this fascination for flight. I was advised to take it all slowly to ensure that my purpose for flying is clear.  It involves both time and money, and I am not sure if that is where my attention needs to be as an entrepreneur with a growing business.  But at the same time I see stunning similarities between growing a company and learning to fly.

No matter what happens, there is no failure.... so I have decided to record the journey on this blog.  Maybe my experiences can help someone else who wants to fly.

I feel like a kid in a toy store right now.  There are so many exciting things all around me, that I am giddy with delight.  Several pilots whom I have talked with these last weeks have said that my enthusiasm reminds them of their introduction to general aviation.  One even thanked me for flooding her with memories she had not thought of in years... but was grateful to remember her own excitement of learning to fly.

If you stumbled upon this blog, come back from time to time and see where it goes.  Maybe I go all the way, or perhaps I just learn about something that is clearly very exciting.  Either way I can tell I am already better for the community I have discovered in and around aviation.

Have A Great Day

thom singer

No comments:

Post a Comment